Bookmark and Share

Saturday, July 17

Happy Thoughts

Thus says the Lord,
“The people who survived the sword
Found grace in the wilderness--
Israel, when it went to find its rest.”
3 The Lord appeared to him from afar, saying,
“I have loved you with an everlasting love;
Therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness.
4 “Again I will build you and you will be rebuilt,
O virgin of Israel!
Again you will take up your tambourines,
And go forth to the dances of the merrymakers.
5 “Again you will plant vineyards
On the hills of Samaria;
The planters will plant
And will enjoy them.
Jerermiah 31.2-5

I have been struggling with my knowing my place in God's plan. Actually, does He still have a plan for my life? I went to Bible College to be a pastor, and it didn't seem to work out. Now I have four years of education in a field that doesn't help a whole lot in most job sectors. Although it does help in the rest of life. I've become a wonderful Sunday School/small group teacher.
Except, I'm not teaching anymore. I taught for five years in Wyoming, then did the Sunday evening sermons for several months in South Dakota, followed by Saturday morning devotionals for a men's group. Now I am in California, where there are so many people, I am not needed. And I feel useless. I'm not doing anything in the church. For a while, I did the lessons for my mom's class in Wyoming, and sent her my answers to help her with her class. Now, nothing.
And it affects the way I feel about myself. I want to teach. Woe! for I am a teacher with no class!
When I started the computer this morning, I asked God to talk to me from todays reading in Jeremiah 31. I hadn't read it, but figured since all scripture is inspired, He could use even this one to enoourage me, which is what I needed. And it really helped. I plan on staying in this chapter for a little while. It is full of little pieces of love that make me feel better. He still loves me. He will build me up again. Even after all I've been through, He still sees me as His virgin. I will dance again (even if my wife laughs when I do). And I will plant, again. That means to me, I will teach again.
Maybe even be a pastor someday.

No comments: