Bookmark and Share

Wednesday, July 21

Directing my mind

“Set up for yourself roadmarks,
Place for yourself guideposts;
Direct your mind to the highway,
The way by which you went.
Return, O virgin of Israel,
Return to these your cities.
~Jeremiah 31.21~


I have a lot of problems doing devotions every day. Thats partly why I blog. Its an easy way for my to interact with what I have read for the day.
This whole chapter is rich, thats why I've spent several days in it so far, and hope to spend even more time here. This particular verse made me think of spending time with God. He has promised to bring them home, back to Israel and to Jerusalem. In preparation for such a journey, He tells them to mark out their path. Roadmarks, guideposts. I think more along the lines of Highway Signs and Landmarks. "You are here." "You are on this road, going there."
This is the particular line that caught my mind though, "Direct your mind to the highway." Direct my mind, hmmm.
I need to choose the things I think about. I know that certain thoughts come unbidden, and I just need to dismiss them. But that is only half the problem. Knowing where not to go.
I also need to 'direct' my thoughts to the place they should go. Think about God. Think about heaven. Think about the Passion. Think about my family. These are the truly important things in life, and as I think about these things, I will be transformed.
"Transformed by the renewing of my mind," and "Taking captive every thought." This is the highway that will return me to the City of God.

No comments: