Bookmark and Share

Monday, December 19

Diet Coke or Mountain Dew

There is a commercial I saw a few times for a new diet Coke. Coke Zero, or something like that. "Tastes just like real Coke!" the actor exulted.

Really? And he's proud of that? Ewww. There are lots of people proud of their low status, too. "Gay/Lesbian Pride" for example. How about a high tolerance for alcohol? How about 'tolerance' for just about anything?

I remember reading a verse in Proverbs about making heroes out of those who mix drinks. It was the same month Tom Cruise's movie Cocktail came out. Who were the heroes? Bartenders. What kind of sense does that make?

We have made heroes out of many people in so many professions. Why do we idolize sports figures, actors, and musicians? I have a theory.

Those we look up to are those we seek to emulate. Which is easier--the professional athlete, or the doctor? Either you're born to be 6'6" with muscles all over, or you're not. You can influence this somewhat, but not that much. How about being a doctor/nurse/etc? Go to school and learn. There are some who cannot learn, but not that many. I beleive most people, if they tried could achieve a college education (assuming they have the financial capability, which isn't always true.)

When our heroes have high standards, it is easier to pick someone else rather than try to live up to their standards. Why not become a Christian? It's too hard being Christ-like, all those "do's and don't's." Billy Graham or Brad Pitt? Whose richer? Whose holier? Which is easier?

Besides, when we fail because of genetic pre-disposition, its easy to explain our failures as not being our fault. I could never play basketball because I'm only 5'2". I didn't get the breaks to be another Michael Jordan. Its not my fault.

But God has given me everything I need to be holy. His Holy Word explains what He desires, Jesus modeled it, and the Holy Spirit gives the strength I need. What is the reason for failure? I didn't try.

Which is easier to live with? Its not my fault, because I'm short. Or it is my fault, because I failed to try.

Am I going to strive for excellence (like Mountain Dew), or settle for mediocrity (tastes just like Coke)?

No comments: