Bookmark and Share

Saturday, November 5

Lamentations 2.14

The visions of your prophets
were false and worthless;
they did not expose your sin
to ward off your captivity.
The oracles they gave you
were false and misleading.



I read Lamentations a few weeks ago, and this verse stuck in my mind. The more I look at it, the more pieces I see. I hope to take the time here to break it down into individual components, and eventually rebuild it into one mosaic. I was about to say "beautiful mosaic," but I'm not sure there is anything beautiful here, unless it be the naked truth.

The first phrase is "the visions of your prophets. Yours, not God's. Ours. Mine. Not God's prophets.

Who appointed these men to be prophets, if not God? Oh, wait a minute. I seem to remember something about gathering men to tickle our ears. We want to feel good about ourselves. We are prosperous, happy, content. Doesn't the Bible say God wants to bless us?

(oh wait, maybe I'm confusing "our prophets" with the "the whole truth".)

No comments: