Bookmark and Share

Monday, October 10

Quick Faith

"That we ought to quicken, i.e., to enliven, our faith. "

This book is broken up into a couple different sections: Conversations, and Letters. The first part appears to be a recollection of, well, conversations, that the author had with Brother Lawrence.

The first conversation lists several basic tenets of Christian life. Nourish ourselves with God. Spend time with God. Give up the world. Things like that. Basics.

Who wants basics? I want something new, something exciting! I have a closetful of movies and music I hardly listen to, and boxes of books I haven't unpacked yet. I want them, because I might watch, listen, or read them again. But I still go out and buy new things. The same with food. Forget the hot dog, I want a "Death Dog," loaded with chili, cheese, and whatever else I can fit into the bowl or onto the plate. I like the Chinese buffet, because I get a wide assortment of foods, and not the everyday steak and potatoes I'm used to eating.

Unfortunately, when we start seeking the new, the titillating, we get used to it, and need greater stimui. More food, spicier food, bigger books, longer movies, more violence and sex in our moview and videogames.

New experiences in church. New highs in our prayer life and devotional reading. Brother Lawrence said we need to give ourselves up to God, with regard to material things AND spiritual things. Seek our satisfaction only in Him. Stop amusing ourselves with trivial devotions. Remain faithful, especially in the dry times. It is here we prove our love for God, and at these times advance spiritually.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Analogies!
But wish I could have steak & potatoes every day!tgy