Bookmark and Share

Saturday, October 8

Paying it Backwards

I was reading a book, a particularly gruesome book, Journey into Darkness. A nineteen year old girl is brutally raped and murdered. A few years later, her father has a root canal, but refuses to take the painkillers afterwards. He explained that he had asked God to take his pain, that he voluntarily suffered, and subtract it from the pain his daughter had suffered. He continued to that, and may still do it for all I know.

I was sitting in church about 10 years ago, and listened to a man testify to God's grace. His daughter, or granddaughter, I don't remember which, had the flu. He also prayed. He asked God to take the flu from her and give it to him, just so she would feel better. She got better, and he got sick. Praise God! Praise God?

Unless I missed something here, God doesn't work that way. I don't remember that ever happening in the Bible. Although I do seem to remember something about air-borne diseases. If you share the household with a sick person, there are good chances that you will also get sick.

Besides, didn't the Bible say something about "by His stripes we are healed." It seems utterly ridiculous, to me, for me to take to myself a debt that has already been paid by someone else. If my children are sick, there is no reason for me to take their sicknesses when Jesus already has. Stupidity, if you ask me.

Back to the first man. Do I believe God can take my pain, apply it to someone else's situation, and relieve them by that much? Yes, He can. Does He? I don't think so. Its a nice sentiment, and it probably helps the father deal with his pain, but I don't really think it helps the victim.

If I want God to help someone, I will pray for them. What can I offer that Jesus hasn't already done? It may sound crass, but I would rather take care of myself, my health, and ask Someone much more qualified to deal with the situation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading this Richard. Everything you wrote is so true. Thanks, it made my night. Tim