Bookmark and Share

Sunday, September 25

Consumed

"That this view had perfectly set him loose from the world, and kindled in him such a love for GOD..." Isn't that wonderful.

Yes, its something I desire for myself, and my family. I want us to be wholly devoted to, and sacrificed to, God. I can, theoretically, spend the whole day in prayer. As I meet people at the hospital, I can say a silent prayer for their ills, or their personal/family life. Believe me, I've seen more ... um ... bad things ... than I believed possible. Yet they keep coming. And I could pray for them. Be in constant dialogue with our Father. I don't, as of yet. Its an aspect of my life I need to work on still.

Reading the Bible, memorizing, witnessing, fellowshipping with fellow saints: these are more difficult. I begin to understand Paul when he said that a soldier doesn't entangle himself with the affairs of the world. And Jesus' statement about hating your family becomes clear. At times, if I'm going to have quiet time, alone with God, I have to tell my beloved wife and darling children to just get lost and leave me alone. "God is more important than you," may be a true statement, but I just haven't brought myself to say it yet.

Brother Lawrence had an epiphany at the age of eighteen. A love and desire for God consumed him from that day on it seems. Thats wonderful for him. I don't want to sacrifice my family, but I do want them to be consumed in their own flames of devotion to God. But, I have to be on fire before they can catch on fire too.

2 comments:

DM Dad said...

This is just a test, to see if I set up the comment system correctly.

Anonymous said...

And so now you understand why you probably never saw your parents doing their daily devotions! I bet they did them while you were still in bed or down for a nap!
But I can't understand why you never saw them studying the word...something they did at all times of the day!