Bookmark and Share

Saturday, March 14

Active Context

In The Way of Aikido, by George Leonard, he writes of waking up listening to an orchestra outside his window, surrounding him.  Beautiful music all around.  Why was there an orchestra outside?  Especially at this time of night?  Then he reached up and touched headphones.  He'd fallen asleep listening to a CD, and woken to a musical interlude.  Instead of an orchestra, it was a CD.  Big difference.

What made the difference?  Context.  His understanding of what was really  happening at the time.  As his understanding changed, so did the whole event.

When we read the Bible, we need to be aware of the context.  Who wrote the passage, to whom, when, under what circumstances.  Read the verses, paragraphs, and chapters before and after.  Getting the whole picture will allow us to understanding the text.  (There is a story of a frontier preacher who taught that Elisha wandered around carrying Elijah's fireplace mantle, because he didn't know a mantle was also an article of clothing.  Just had to throw that in.  *grin*)

But, as Leonard points out, context isn't just a "passive container for our experience," it is an "active process dealing with how we weave our experience together to give it meaning."  Context isn't just for interpreting the Bible.  Its how we look at all of life.  Context "impels and directs our thoughts, emotions, and actions."  So, the way I see things will directly affect the way I interact with them.

If I see a problem, and focus on the problem, I'm giving my energy to it.  I need to focus on those things that made me successful, and direct my energy that way. In the words of Leonard, I need to make sure I don't lose sight of what made me successful in the first place.

And, just what is that?  It is God.  Daily time with God.  Imbibing his Word.  Resting at his feet.  Practicing his presence daily.

Notice in the quote by Leonard, he uses the singular "experience" and not the plural "experiences."  Life is all one piece.  We break it up into days, weeks, years, morning, noon, and night.  But, it is one.  One big experience.  I can't separate my Sundays from my Mondays just because the hour hand slips past the twelve in the depth of the night.  God isn't trapped by the hands on my watch.

When I go to work, or go shopping, to family reunions, or sit down to pay bills (not that I pay bills, my wife does, but you get the picture), what situation am I walking into?  Am I an interloper?  A pariah?  Low man on the totem pole?  Or, am I an ambassador of Christ walking in the power of the his Spirit?

Context.  Is this a problem, or an opportunity for God to show his power amongst those who need to witness his power in action?



No comments: