Bookmark and Share

Sunday, January 2

The Good Course

6 For the Lord gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
9 Then you will discern righteousness and justice
And equity and every good course.


This puts me in mind of James 1.5. If any man lacks wisdom, let him ask of God. (Yes, I know there is more to the verse, but this is the part it makes me think of.)

The first four or five chapters of Proverbs reiterate over and over the seeking of wisdom. It also talks of knowledge and understanding, and the fear of the Lord. So, what is the difference between all these things?

I'm not sure I really know, but this is my understanding of things now. Ask me in five or ten years, and you'll probably get a different answer.

Knowledge concerns facts. Like Trivial Pursuit, just knowing about everything. How tall is this thing? How much does it weigh? How fast does it go? What does the law say about something else? Laws of Thermodynamics. Scripture memorization. Quotes of famous people. Engines in vehicles. Year, make, model. Policies procedures. Information.

Understanding concerns how these different facts interrelate to one another. How does the law of thermodynamics affect the engine in my car? If something weighs so much, can I lift it to put it away? What does the Bible have to say about the law that were passed last year, or the ones in the legislature now?

Wisdom, as I understand it, is knowing what to do about a certain situation based on the facts. My car is having problems, so I should ... do this or that to remedy the situation. Okay, not a big problem. I have a relationship that needs fixing. Oh boy. Wisdom is very important here. And wisdom comes from God. I need God's direction here pointing me in the right way. What do I do? What do I say? How? When?

I like Proverbs 2.9. You will discern ... every good course. That is important for me. I tend to be a perfectionist. I also don't believe any one person has all the facts concerning any situation. So, how do you make the right decision? When I lack complete knowledge, my understanding is also faulty, and my wisdom is ...?

I hate working for bosses who tell me that everything is important and everything is a priority. So, if I have two projects to complete, and time enough for one, which one do I do? "Get them both done" isn't really an option, even if its what my manager wants.

Its good to know God gives me wisdom, and shows me which way to go.

No comments: