Bookmark and Share

Saturday, April 11

Someday Syndrome

I've been reading a blog called "Someday Syndrome" that deals with procrastination. Sure enough, someday I will ... what? Write my novel? Finish my fish pond? Grow up? Ummm, no, that may be pushing it a bit.

Alex Fayle asks a series of questions to get you started. Here are his questions.

  1. What is my "Someday"?
  2. When do I want to complete it?
  3. What are the big steps to get there?
  4. What am I doing right now to move things forward?
  5. How much progress have I made since starting?
  6. Anything missing?
I thought these were very good questions, and might actually be able to help me get started.

What is my "Someday"?

I've started writing three short stories, and each one grew out of control, only to be abandoned as I started another one. NaNoWriMo is coming again in November, and I'd like to be prepared for it. Meaning, having these other stories out of the way. I've want to finish Raider, Green Land, and Shadowsmith by October 31st.

When do I want to complete it?

Well, I want to finish them by October 31st, but ... I've got lots of excuses why I can't, or won't. Perhaps I need to set time limits on each of them. I have six and a half months to go. That gives me two months each, plus 2 weeks leeway. So, finish Raider by June 15th, Shadowsmith by August 15th, and Green Land by October 15th. Give or take a few days. Raider and Shadowsmith are nearly finished anyway. At least, in my head. Green Land keeps getting longer, so I put it last. If I don't finish it, it won't keep me from having done the other two.

What are the big steps to get there?

First, I need to find the notebooks I have the stories written in. I do most of my work long hand, then type it up. That is where I usually have problems. If I have it written down, the story is finished enough for me to enjoy, so why go through the effort of typing it? It's like doubling my work. I also have to work out the details of the endings. I've got the general idea in mind, just not the details. So, find the notebooks, type what I have, and work out the ending.

What am I doing right now to get there?

I've found almost all my written material for Raider already. Unfortunately, a few pages are missing from one of my notepads, so I had to go back and reconstruct the missing material. Its been nearly 3 years since I wrote those pages, and I'm a bit fuzzy on what was there to begin with, but I think I did okay stitching my seams together. I haven't looked for the rest of Green Land or Shadowsmith yet. If I find them now, I'd just lose them again anyway.

How much progress have I made since starting?

I found all my printed material from Raider, and re-read it, so I knew where I'd been, and my characters names. Then I forged on through my hand-written material, filled in that one gap, and wrote a few more pages.

Anything missing?

Yeah, I haven't typed anything up yet. I need to start typing what I have while I have a chance. Faith's laptop broke a while back, so she needs the desktop on occasion. I can write while she's on here, but I need to type while I have it available to me.

This is my "someday." What's yours, and what are you doing about it?

No comments: