Bookmark and Share

Friday, February 13

The Illusion of Power

Empowerment. A buzzword of today's business establishment. The employees are empowered to make decisions. This gives them the power to make decisions without having to seek out management approval for every move they make. Its a good feeling, knowing that I am in charge, and I can do what I need to get the job done.

However, there are still rules. There are boundaries I can't cross. In the retail environment, for example, I may give a discount, but I can't give away the product for free. I can write a check and the bank will honor it, but only if I have the money in an account with them. Not having the money, or having it in another bank, doesn't count. Climb up the political chain, and you will encounter more and more red tape. Some gifts are acceptable, others not. Some may be taxable, while others are punishable by fines or prison time.

I come to realize that my personal power, inherent in my own "empowerment," is constrained and eroded. Its a grand sounding word, but ends up being a small pinnacle surrounded by slippery slopes. Use that power outside of fuzzy boundaries and you'll get into trouble. You could lose your job, your friends, your money, health, spouse. The list goes on.

In the end, "empowerment" is a good concept, but an easy way to destroy ones pride. "I tried to do what you said, but ..." The greatest example of this is Lucifer, who was cast down because of his pride. Satan was given great power and responsibility, and promptly overstepped his boundaries. "This far and no farther" wasn't a command, but a challenge. He was given a choice, and chose disobedience. From his lofty position, he was cast down.

This happens to us, also. We have been given power in life. Too many people let this power go to their heads, and they walk carelessly, slipping and falling from the path God set out before them. They end up lying at the bottom of pit, crushed and bruised, wondering where they went wrong. "God gave me this gift, and set me on this path. Why am I here?"

In the words of Isaiah, God is with the lowly and contrite, those who are broken in spirit. Or, as Steve Taylor put it, "Jesus is for losers."

The very word "empowered" means to be given power. Implying, power comes from an outside source. It is not inherent in us. None of us is born with power. Some are born into rich families, or politically connected families. But, that comes from the efforts of those who came before them. It isn't theirs. It is their families.

If I have an ability, it comes from God, and is a gift. The illusion of power blinds. Disillusionment brings freedom to come to Christ. And, in Christ, there is freedom and power to express ourselves fully in a personal way. A way that has meaning to us, individually, and a way that influences those around us for God.

No comments: